PCC Tram Washington 1631
The Washingtons operated in Barcelona from 1963 to 1971.
- Manufacturer: St. Louis Car Company (USA), year 1945.
- Width: 2.540 m
- Height: 3.051 m
- Length: 13.252
- Began service: 1963
- Decommissioned: 1971.
- Restored: 2011.
History of the vehicle
The PCC tram was a new model, created in the United States between 1935 and 1938 by the “Electric Railway Presidents Conference Committee” (PCC).The aim of this committee was to unify the design of all trams of the country and to compete both in comfort and technology with the service that then provided the bus service. This model was well-accepted and quickly became popular in many cities of the States. In Washington, the PCCs started running in 1937 until the tram network was replaced by buses in 1962. Tramvies de Barcelona saw the opportunity of renewing the tram fleet, and bought 101 second-hand PCC trams from the company in the city of Washington, between 1961 and 1965.
The first vehicles started operating in Barcelona in 1963. The original design was adapted, creating a space reserved for the collector and modifying the headlamps, the doors and inside lighting. Finally, 99 vehicles were put into service with the series 1601 - 1699, and two vehicles were left for spares.
As a result of their origin, these trams were known in Barcelona as "the Washingtons". They were more silent than the previous trams and smoother to drive, when braking and starting. The last vehicles to arrive, had a double level of windows, which enabled passengers to see the street when they were standing.They also had a large capacity, with 48 seats plus 54 standing room.
20 trams of this series operated in Barcelona until it was eliminated in 1971.
The PCC Washington 1631 was restored between 2009 and 2001. The TMB Fundació also preserves the PCC 1683, which is pending refurbishment.
"The landing of the americans in Barcelona "(CA), on Hora Punta magazine.
"Curiosities of the past: tram 1631 in action" (CA), on TMB Notícies.