You are in:
“Els estrets”, a tram fleet that started operating in the 1920s.
- Manufacturer: Can Girona.
- Measurements: Width: 2.120 m. Height: 3.520 m
- Length: 9.090 m
- Began service: 1924.
- Decommissioned: 1967.
- Restored: 2008-09.
In the early 1920s, there was an urgent need to increase the number of trams running in Barcelona. The city had grown significantly in number of inhabitants and the tram was the main transport system. We must take into account that the first four CGA buses did not appear until 1922 and the first metro line, El Gran Metro, until 1924. The trams needed to be renewed as the network operated with the "cadener" trams (link to the page about tram No.58) that had been running since the network was connected to the electricity grid in 1899, the 300 and 400 series trams that had been incorporated in 1903 and the trailers adapted from old horse trams. In addition, the city was preparing for the great event of 1929, the International Exhibition.
These vehicles, numbered from 860 to 889, were called " els estrets" (narrow trams) as they were designed with a narrower format in anticipation of replacing the cadener trams that circulated along the lines of the Gracia district. They were bidirectional vehicles (with two axles and two engines) and open platforms on both sides.
As of 1967 these vehicles were removed from circulation and some units were recycled as school barracks in the Torre Baró district, next to the Font de l'Eucaliptus.Tram 867 last ran on 18th March 1971, on the closing route of the Barcelona tramway network